Thursday, August 4, 2011

On my soapbox: poor and happy

At 23, moving into a brand new home wasn't the most "money-saving" decision. It's almost been a year now since I discovered my quaint little neighborhood, tucked behind old Tempe farms who had to have been there for at least 30 years. Looking back on the last year and where I was a year ago today, I must say I find myself smiling more and more these days. I can't say that my savings account has grown (more like stayed quite empty) but at least I'm happy.

I'm not one to really reflect, but after finishing school, starting my career and buying a house (leaping into adulthood) there's actually quite a bit to reflect on. Having more free time has made me realize what happiness is. When I started college I imagined my post-school life to be dedicated to the job - working for the man. I really wanted to make a name for myself so I could make a bunch of money. Although I am very dedicated to my work and am happy with the work I do, that isn't where most happiness comes from. Coming from a European background, we are about the term "working to live" versus "living to work." I work so that I can live: travel, spend time with my loved ones... make memories. Growth and reflection during this time for me has led to personal growth. I want everyone to who's stressed out with work and to sit back and think 'is this worth getting stressed out over?' It's not. Because when you get home, you're home. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Home isn't a place, its more of a state of mind.  I feel at home snuggled in my bed with my dogs. I feel at home with my family. I feel at home on the beach with my guy. Home is a state of happiness and we should all strive to find our own homes to escape to after long work days. Because it's home that will make you realize that all that stress at work isn't worth it. Right?

xoxo,



1 comment:

  1. Ah.... work life balance! Now that is a tough one! I would have to agree with you that you have come a long way with your home. At your age, most people are still out partying and pretending they are still "in college". I think you have a really good work life balance and know how to enjoy your hard work! Great reflection!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love! xoxo